Friday, August 05, 2005

The Man Behind the Black

I realize this has little, if anything, to do with the field of politics but given that I am such a fan of the late-Johnny Cash, not to mention country music in general, I could not simply let this bit of news go unnoticed here. In any event, the brand-new trailer for the Johnny Cash biopic, Walk the Line, starring Joaquin Phoenix (Gladiator, Signs) and Resse Witherspoon (Sweet Home Alabama), debuted online this past week. The film from 20th Century Fox debuts in theatres on November 18th, 2005, which is quite unfortunate given that it opens two days after the release of the latest Harry Potter film. Granted, Walk the Line will likely rack up more nominations and awards in the end but the media will likely focus more on the opening of The Goblet of Fire, drawing attention, and potential audience members, from the Cash biopic. I for one am looking very forward to the film, though I am not ashamed to admit I am looking forward to the new Harry Potter film as well (the book, which I am finishing up now, is at least enjoyable – we’ll see how the new director holds up with the film adaptation).